Location: Chicago or New York
We are seeking a Senior Linux Systems Engineer who also has deep VMware and Cisco UCS experience. This individual will be responsible for the architecture and administration of the RHEL Linux deployment, as well a leading and hands-on role in the architecture, design, platform operation, and performance engineering of the VMware infrastructure on our new UCS platform. You will be part of an established and experienced Systems Administration team, and be a subject matter expert on the entire UCS and VMWare platform.
- Design, implement, and maintain a UCS-based virtual server platform for our RedHat Linux and Microsoft Windows servers, using VMware ESX.
- Maintain VMWare environment over time, including performance tuning, cluster optimization, and capacity planning, using tools like DRS, vCops, VMTurbo, Virtual Instruments, etc.
- Work directly with our Network and Storage teams to maintain and expand the RHEL Linux server platform, VMWare environment, and UCS.
- Work with our 24/7 Operations team to provide support for the system on an on-call rotational basis.
- Work with our technology vendors to evaluate new technologies and support systems.
- Work with our application development teams to optimize and tune RHEL-based Linux server performance.
- Work with our Business Continuity team to implement VMWare-based disaster recovery planning and testing.
As a Senior Linux Systems Engineer, you should have 5+ years of Linux administration experience. You should also have a Bachelor’s Degree in a related technical field or equivalent work experience of the same.
In particular, a successful candidate will have:
- Deep experience with all aspects of Linux OS system administration.
- Experience designing and implementing an enterprise-wide Linux infrastructure using Cisco UCS and ESXi v5 (moving to v6)
- Deep knowledge of vMotion, vSphere, vCenter, HA, DRS, Auto Deploy, etc.
- Deep experience with RHEL Linux and VMWare Engineering and Operation, including:
- SAN and disk configuration and troubleshooting
- Network configuration and troubleshooting
- Capacity management and system tuning
- Scripting, automation, and orchestration
- Server Deployments
- Failure, Recovery, and Backup strategies
- Troubleshooting, fault recovery, debugging, root cause analysis
- Ability to write complex scripts in a common language (Perl, Python, Shell, etc)
- Experience with vendor management helpful
Other qualifications desired in a candidate include:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working in fast paced, aggressive companies
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to work with people in various organizations
- Able to accommodate a flexible work schedule and an on-call environment
- Commitment to delivering excellence on all front
Bachelor’s degree (BS or BA) preferred; or related experience in a fast paced trading environment